TRIKE SHOP NEWS February 2020

We have recently finished a lot of fantastic trikes,  and have more Trikes on the bench being completed - including a Harley Davidson V-ROD!

The V-Rod has a MotorTrike bodied conversion and has sleek gloss black paintwork. It's the ultimate in style & comfort, - yet very practical.



We have officially launched our long awaited, conversion “Stage 1 Base Kit”!

We’ve been asked many times in the past to create a very basic kit, that can be added to as clients can afford it. It has the usual high quality that our “Classic Conversion” has, but enables our clients to do stage by stage builds. We are more than happy to give advice to those whom may need it during the construction.

We can supply this kit for shaft drive, chain drive & belt drive, there is more information on our conversion page.





Do I need a bike licence to ride a Trike?


This information below we have borrowed from the “National Association For Bikers With A Disability” (NABD).

We give thanks to Rick Hulse the NABD’s Chairman, who worked so very hard to clarify the law and fight for the rights of disabled & abled riders of the UK.

Follow the link for the full article, and if you can give a donation to the NABD, it would be very greatly appreciated!


On January 19th 2013, with the implementation of the 3rd European Licensing Directive, all trikes became part of the ‘Category A’ (motorcycle) licencing regulations. (Previously they had fallen within the ‘Category B’ (car) licencing regulations).

Under European legislation, to ride a trike you will first have to pass a test on a solo motorcycle.

Thanks to the intervention and involvement of the NABD during the formulation of this European legislation, there is a dispensation built-in that permits people with disabilities to ride trikes on a provisional licence and to take a test which will qualify them for a Category A licence restricted to ‘Trikes Only’. 

For people who pass the full ‘Category A’ test on a solo motorcycle, either via staged access or direct access, irrespective of disability; you can then ride any size or type of trike you like.

Contrary to popular misconception, it doesn’t matter if a trike has a car engine or a bike engine.  Nor does the weight of a trike make any difference to licensing; throughout Europe all trikes will now fall into the Category A licence.

  1. Just to complicate matters Trikes weighing no more than 450kg (unladen) are tax class 50 for VED but trikes weighing more than 450kg (unladen) must be taxed in the PLG class.  This does not affect licensing because the current licence system is based on European law but the Vehicle Excise Duty system is based on British Law. 

So, to put it plainly for new licence holders, you cannot ride a trike on a provisional licence unless you have a disability/disabilities and you cannot take a test on a trike unless you have a disability/disabilities (‘having a disability/disabilities’ in this case also means you must notify the DVLA of the nature of your disability/disabilities). 

However, in late November 2017 we were informed that a piece of UK legislation had been implemented on 10/04/2014, which allows any person over the age of 21 who holds a full Category B (car) licence (irrespective of disabilities or what year they passed the full Category B test)) can ride any size of trike within UK territory. 
NB.  It should be stressed that this legislation is only valid within UK territories.  Elsewhere in Europe the 3rd Directive rules apply as implemented on 19/01/ 2013.

Rick Hulse

Chairman N.A.B.D.